Department of Chemistry
About the Department
The main focus of teaching and research in the department is centred on interdisciplinary themes and pledges itself in the broadest and most liberal manner to encourage the advancement of all branches of engineering through its practically skilled education and service missions.
The department has well equipped laboratory with modern infrastructure. The faculty members of the Department are well qualified, experienced and have expertise in most frontier areas of research. They have contributed towards publication of a good number of research papers in national and international Journals and Conferences. The department is recognized as a research centre by VTU and has a separate R & D centre. Many students have registered to pursue Ph.D from various institutes and companies. The faculties of the department have stretched their hands in collaborating with BE projects from various branches.
The department has involved in various developmental activities of institution from the beginning. The department organizes workshops, seminars, induction program and other curricular and co curricular activities
Chemistry is a colorful fundamental subject of science which has lot of importance in engineering and technology. The subject gives more emphasis on applications of chemistry in today’s world. Also, solutions to the many problems we are facing today. Nowadays, the world is focused on interdisciplinary studies. Hence, students should give importance to the subject for their future studies, career and to excel academically.
The faculty members of our department are highly qualified, experienced and involved in research activities in core areas of the subject and Engineering applications. Best utilization of faculties, infrastructure and showing interest in studies gives a strong basement to the budding Engineers.
“Chemistry must become the astronomy of the molecular world”.
- Development of academically excellent, culturally vibrant, socially responsible and globally competent human resources
- To keep pace with advancements in knowledge and make the students competitive and capable at the global level.
- To create an environment for the students to acquire the right physical, intellectual, emotional and moral foundations and shine as torchbearers of tomorrow’s society.
- To strive to attain ever-higher benchmarks of educational excellence.
The Program Educational Objectives of Basic Sciences and Humanities program. After the completion of Basic Sciences, Engineering Sciences and Humanities program, it is expected to
- Acquire the competence of efficiently applying the fundamental concepts and skill sets of science in engineering and technology.
- Adapt to the engineering profession with communication skills, knowledge of constitution, professional ethics and environmental awareness to serve the wider community of society.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and e Specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze engineering problems to arrive at substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural, and engineering science
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components, processes to meet the specifications with consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considera
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conc
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limita
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable developme
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in teams, and in multidisciplinary se
- Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large. Be able to comprehend and write effective reports documenta Make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a Manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- The ability to demonstrate the understanding of the basic principles, laws, theories, axioms and problem solving skills of basic sciences and their application in engineering and technology.
- The ability to apply the basic knowledge to design and to develop the engineering concepts using the modern tools to contribute to the society.
- The ability to apply the knowledge of constitution, ethics and environmental awareness effectively and efficiently in engineering.
- The department is aimed to improve academic performance of students using innovative and creative methods of teaching. Conducting programmes to acquire knowledge, skills, innovative and creative thinking etc.
- The basic objective of the Department of Chemistry is to educate the next generation of graduates with the capacity to solve real problems and provide leadership that can lead to the economic and social transformation of students.