Department of CSE – Data Science
About the Department
Intake of the Department = 60
Data science is an interdisciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems to extract knowledge and insights from noisy, structured and unstructured data, and apply knowledge and actionable insights from data across a broad range of application domains.
Data science can be defined as a blend of mathematics, business acumen, tools, algorithms and machine learning techniques, all of which help us in finding out the hidden insights or patterns from raw data which can be of major use in the formation of big business decisions.
A data scientist must be able to do the following:
- Apply mathematics, statistics, and the scientific method
- Use a wide range of tools and techniques for evaluating and preparing data – everything from SQL to data mining to data integration methods
- Extract insights from data using predictive analytics and artificial intelligence (AI), including machine learning and deep learning models
- Write applications that automate data processing and calculations
- Tell and illustrate stories that clearly convey the meaning of results to decision- makers and stakeholders at every level of technical knowledge and understanding
- Explain how these results can be used to solve business problems
The curriculum of the Data Science program is an ideal balance of fundamental / foundation, core and elective courses. Students will learn about Data Mining, Information Retrieval, Data Centre Networking, Deep Learning, Big Data & Hadoop, Data Analytics, R language, Python etc.
A career in Data Science is one of the fastest growing career opportunities in the country, as companies find themselves at the crossroads of possessing the technology and wherewithal to gather massive amounts of data, but lacking skilled scientists who can tell them what the data means and how to use it to tweak their business practices. A qualified Data Science Engineer has excellent career prospects. The program offers opportunities to seek employment in prestigious organizations.