Department of Physics
About the Department
Department of Physics was established in the year 2010 with optimum infrastructure. The department consists of a spacious and well equipped laboratory, dark room, HOD’s cabin, staff room and store room. Department of physics is determined to train the engineering aspirants in the fundamentals of physics so that they could apply the basic laws and theories of physics in engineering and technology efficiently there and then it is required. The department is all set to develop and nurture the learning skills in students to excel professionally as engineers and to serve the wider campus community. This is achieved by the department by offering basic courses in Physics that conform to the university curriculum and some beyond the syllabus application oriented activities. The department owns ergonomically designed Engineering Physics Laboratory that is well equipped with modern equipments and a spacious dark room for optics experiments. Well qualified dedicated faculty members and skilled enthusiastic supporting staff together work towards the academic and technical excellence of the students. The department ensures good academic progress of the students by adapting best practices of teaching and learning process. The department also thrives in good student throughput for further years of engineering. The department is disposed to carry on research and development activities. As an initiative Department of Physics has constituted a research set up with simple equipments to carry out studies in the field of tribology and allied topics.
“What we observe is not nature itself, but the nature exposed to our method of questioning.”
Physics is a fundamental science. Physics means “nature”. Thus physics is one of the most important basis for engineering and technology. To understand nature one has to live with it. The observations play a decisive role in the study of physics. To become a good engineer one must be strong at the basic principles and the laws of nature. The study of nature is possible through assumptions, theories, mathematical formulations, experiments, results, analysis and logical reasoning. Understanding the principles of physics is worth enjoying. I am proud and elated to be a physicist.
I am happy to share the fact, in addition to the basic science subjects for the 1st and 2nd semester in the engineering curriculum, VTU has introduced open electives in pure science subjects physics for 5th and 6th semester students. I hereby urge the engineering students to opt for open electives in physics to become physicists.
Dr. Mahesh Lohith K S
Associate Professor & Head
Development of academically excellent, culturally vibrant, socially responsible and globally competent human resources
- To keep pace with advancements in knowledge and make the students competitive and capable at the global level
- To create an environment for the students to acquire the right physical, intellectual, emotional and moral foundations and shine as torchbearers of tomorrow’s society
- To strive to attain ever-higher benchmarks of educational excellence.
The Program Educational Objectives of Basic Sciences and Humanities program.
After the completion of Basic Sciences, Engineering Sciences and Humanities program, it is expected to
- Acquire the competence of efficiently applying the fundamental concepts and skill sets of science in engineering and technology.
- Adapt to the engineering profession with communication skills, knowledge of constitution, professional ethics and environmental awareness to serve the wider community of society.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and e Specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze engineering problems to arrive at substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural, and engineering science
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components, processes to meet the specifications with consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considera
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conc
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limita
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable developme
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in teams, and in multidisciplinary se
- Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large. Be able to comprehend and write effective reports documenta Make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a Manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life–long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- The ability to demonstrate the understanding of the basic principles, laws, theories, axioms and problem solving skills of basic sciences and their application in engineering and technology.
- The ability to apply the basic knowledge to design and to develop the engineering concepts using the modern tools to contribute to the society.
- The ability to apply the knowledge of constitution, ethics and environmental awareness effectively and efficiently in engineering.
- To impart quality education in basic sciences, engineering sciences and humanities.
- To achieve the optimum outcome by incorporating best practices in teaching.
- To organize development programs in Physics, Engineering and Technology.
- Establishment of Fabrication, Research and Development Centre.